Making improvements to your lighting is one of the fastest ways to cut your energy bills. An average household dedicates more than 30% of its energy budget to lighting. Using new lighting technologies can reduce lighting energy use in your home by 50% to 75%.
- Change to Compact fluorescent light bulbs. They cost a bit more than ordinary light bulbs but then last up to 12 times longer and could save you a lot on your annual electricity bill over the bulb’s lifetime! In fact they pay for themselves in as little as three months.
- Turn off the lights in any room you're not using or when you leave a room.
- Take advantage of natural light where possible – draw curtains to admit light into rooms.
- Use outdoor lights with a photocell unit or a motion sensor so they will turn on only at night or when someone is present. A combined photocell and motion sensor will increase your energy savings even more.
- Remove defective fluorescent tubes from circuit.
Return to energy conservation tips