The Volta River Authority (VRA), on October 6, 2023 awarded educational scholarships at a total value of GHS 1,000,000.00 to Sixty (60) needy but brilliant students from communities impacted by the Authority’s operations, offering various programmes in the Sciences and Humanities in various public tertiary institutions.
The scholarship scheme, which falls under the Authority’s Community Development Programme (CDP), is aimed at supporting the development of human resources to contribute to the sustainability and the growth of communities, as well as national development.
The Chief Executive, Mr. Emmanuel Antwi-Darkwa, in an address read on his behalf by the Deputy Chief Executive (Services), Ing. Kenneth Arthur noted that the Scholarship Awards was a testament of the Authority’s commitment to adding value to lives. He commended the achievements and progress of previous beneficiaries of the scholarship and urged current beneficiaries to pursue high levels of commitment in their studies.
Rev. Dr. Joyce Rosalind Aryee, a member of the VRA Board advised the award recipients to cherish and hold in high esteem, their identity as Ghanaians.
In his closing remarks, the Konor and President of the Eastern Regional House of Chiefs, HRM Nene Sakite II, expressed immense gratitude to the Volta River Authority for its continuous support in impacted communities and tasked the beneficiaries to take advantage of the opportunity and help develop their respective areas.
Since 2011, 449 students from the Akosombo, Akuse, Tema/Kpone and Aboadze operational areas have been sponsored under the Scholarship scheme: 234 at the Senior High School and 215 at the Tertiary level. .
- VRA Intensifies Humanitarian Efforts to Support Flood Victims
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About the Akosombo Reservoir Spillage
- In Pictures: VRA Offers Support to Communities Affected by Ongoing Spilling Exercise
- VRA offers Support to Communities Affected by Ongoing Spilling Exercise
- Third Quarter 2023 Newsletter
- Press Statement: Emergency Shutdown of the Sogakope Substation
- Update on Controlled Spilling at the Akosombo and Kpong Dams
- VRA Awards Scholarships to 60 Needy but Brilliant Students
- Deputy Chief Executive (Services) engages Awomefia and District Chief Executives on Dam Spilling Exercise